Friday, January 18, 2008

So, do the toilets flush in the opposite direction Down Under?


Ok, for some of you this may seem like a weird question....but for me, this was a question that I started gathering research on while I was still in the states. A Simpson's episode a while back asked this question, and I have always wondered if the toilets in Australia actually flush counterclockwise. So, while still in the states, I watched many toilets flush to see if they all flushed in the same direction...they do. With this knowledge under my belt, I felt ready to answer this age old question. Well, the answer was surprising. The toilets here flush directly down. There is absolutely no swirling. I have watched private and public toilets alike...they all flush the same way - directly down. The toilets do have a very unique feature which I have never encountered, though. You can choose to do a half flush or a full flush. There are two buttons located on top of the toilets, one features a half-filled circle and the other a filled circle. So each time you flush, you get to decide. The half flush supposedly uses less water, but honestly, I think both flushes look the same. Maybe it's just my untrained eye. I don't know, but I will keep you posted if I fall upon any other information about this topic.

No comments: